Nerd and the Noob
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Short story part 2

2 posters

Go down

Short story part 2 Empty Short story part 2

Post by Den20397 Tue 13 Aug 2013, 4:17 pm

I have been debating whether to put this up for a while as it hasent attracted much interest, but then I thought, what the hell nothing bad can come from my putting this up and the people who have read it will be disappointed.
So, here we go.

I should have listened part 2.

“Oh, thank god.” I couldn’t believe what I had found. I decided to search the room one last time and I found a lever concealed behind a stone. I pulled it and to my left a large section of the wall slid up into the ceiling. I left everything in the cave and ran out into the sunlight.” “Well would you look at that.” I was on a hill abut half a mile from my home town of Whiterun. I ran as fast as I could, hearing the door grind shut behind me, all the way to the Jarls palace.

The Jarl of Whiterun is a big man named Eirik. He is over two meters tall, has a long black beard and shoulder length hair pulled back into a tight ponytail. I burst through the doors and am instantly surrounded by guards. “What is the meaning of this, who are you.” Shouted the head guard. “ "stand down guardsman I know this man." Ah yes, Jon Snow how are you, you went exploring the ruins of Grimrock didn’t you, where are your friends? “All dead my lord, there are bigger problems to deal with right now. You must prepare this town for war. There is an army of foul creatures heading this way." I explained "I will not waste my resources on the wild accusations of a little known sellsword, would you care to explain…" exclaimed Eirik.

I told the Jarl of what had happened, how I had seen each of my friends brutally murdered, and heard the drums closing in and what the Falmer warlock had said. “This is very grave news, if what your saying is true then the legend of the four is coming true. “What legend is this I have not heard it.”
“There is any ancient legend that tells of the four horsemen War, Death, Fury and Strife. Who worked for the charred council, who before the time of man ruled the world and used the four as the enforcers of their law. The charred council was made up of a group of god like beings know as the Faceless ones. Then at an unknown point in time the horsemen turned against the council and killed them all, then the horsemen disappeared. I will give you fifty men to return to the ruins and bring back proof.” Eirik decided. I have never had command of so many men, I thought it would go horribly wrong but they had been trained well and there was almost no noise as we marched through the Wood, it seemed far too quiet there were no birds, no insects and almost no animals to be seen.

When we reached Grimrock we saw the doors hanging wide open, there were a few goblin bodies lying around the entrance. ”it seems as though they left in quite a hurry”. Said Jory, the town’s master of arms and my second in command for this mission.” “Alright I want five teams of ten men, Grimrock is a large place and it is easy to get lost. Do not under any circumstance become separated from your squad. Understand.” “Yes Sir”, came the chorused reply.” Alright let’s move out.”

I knew that I could have been sending those men to their deaths but it was a risk that had to be taken. Luck was on our side as we explored the ruins, all the goblins were gone but they had left a lot of their stuff behind, we found fire pits, sleeping mats, cooking utensils and all kinds of other rubbish that the goblins like to collect .We also found weapons, enough to prove a large army had been here. Because we had plenty more room, we took the treasure and jewels I had found, back with us. The only question was- what scared the goblins away.

As the law decreed I got to keep a third of all that was found. I knew I would be on the front lines of the war to come so I bought a new set of armour, ebony which is the strongest you can have, a new elven bow and two quivers of elven arrows as the elves are well know for their archery. I got my trusty longsword sharpened, bought two throwing axes and a shield. ”Now I’m ready, come and get me you bastards.” I thought to my self. I also purchased a well trained warhorse and bought him plate armour.

I returned to the Jarl a few days later to see if what I had found was enough to convince him to take action. “Ah there you are, I have had my men looking for you.” I explained that I had been in the training yards practicing with my swords and axes. ”I have considered all that you have brought me from that accursed place and I have decided to enact the Jarls law.” What do you mean? , you have your own law?” “No not quite,it is a law that allows me to act without question for six months. I will be enacting conscription, effective immediately. Any man over the age of twenty and under forty five will join the town guard. I hope your getting all this Joffery.” Joffery was the Jarls personal note taker and the town crier. ”Conscription, over twenty, effective immediately sir.” replied Joffery.“ Good, good also tell Jory that he will need to train all these men up until the fighting begins. ”added Barakus.

“When the time comes I want you at my side Jon, you understand.” “Of course my Jarl.” I replied. “For now I am sending you with twenty men to all the lords who would fight under my banner.” commanded Barakus. ”What about the High King?” I asked. “We will deal with him when the time comes.”

I set off the next day with my twenty men, first we were headed to Marcarth, then to Riften home of the thieves guild and then finally on to Winterhold which is the northern most city that is loyal to Eirik and also the home of the mages guild. Our journey was uneventful and we reached Dawnstar on our second day of travel. “You know sir it is believed that Dawnstar was once the capital of the Dwemer here in cyrodil.” One of the soldiers told me. “The Dwemmer? Who are they.” I asked.

“It is believed that before the first high king discovered Cyrodil, there was an ancient race known as the Dwemmer or Dwarves, from the evidence that has been found we have discovered that they were the ones who created the Dwemmer centurians and their smaller mechanical spider-like worker drones, sir” replied the soldier. “Please call me Jon, I am no high ranking officer, I’m just a sellsword who has come into the Jarls favour.”

When we reached Marcarth the doors were firmly shut. “Who goes there.” Shouted down a guard from atop the wall, there was only one as the city was built into the side of the mountain. “What is it to you, I’m here to see the Jarl.” Unless you have documents to prove this you cant come in.” He replied “Why not? what’s going on, why are the doors shut.” I asked. “We have been having a lot of trouble with the Forsworn of late but were not supposed to tell anyone.” “I have documentation to give your Jarl from the Jarl of Whiterun.” " Very well ill be down shortly to check this documentation.” With that he disappeared from sight. We were waiting for several minutes before a guard opened the door. “Lets see this letter then.” Said the guard. I gave him the letter. “Very good, in you go, my apologies for the delays.” I had only ever been to Marcarth once when I was a child but I will always remember that great city.

The walls were made of solid granite but shined like polished marble, here and there you could see the golden shine of Dwemmer pipes running through the city. As I gazed around I saw the sun sparkle of the huge waterfalls that fall down and form rivers flowing through the city. As we walked through the city I told the soldiers to head up to the palace and that I would join them shortly, but first I had to check up on local news. As I entered the tavern there were only a few people sitting at the bar and other seats scattered around. I wandered around and had a chat with a couple of people and found out that the city had been suffering from the attacks of the Forsworn for a couple of weeks. I found out that they had launched their attacks from the from the caves in the mountains around the city and have taken control of several mines and have set up camps to launch more attacks.

I left the tavern and walked up to the Jarls court, as I walked up I passed the blacksmith, the silver mine, the cities market with all the stalls you could need where you can buy almost anything whether its allowed or not ,the guards let them off because it just means more money for the city. As I entered the Jarls keep that was built inside the mountain, I heard the low rumbling of the ancient Dwemmer machines, still in perfect working order after so many hundreds of years. One of my men was waiting for me at the foot of the stairs leading to the Jarls courtroom. “Hello sir, a few minutes before you arrived, a woman ran over to me and asked where you where, I told her I did not know, she told me that she wanted to talk to you in the crypts then she ran off.” “Thank you but I will go to see the Jarl first.” I replied. ”Of course sir, as you say.”

When I entered the Jarls courtroom his advisors and Master of arms were already there. “What is it that Eirik thought was so important as to send you with twenty men to ensure your safety.” Asked the Jarl “My lord, the Jarl of Whiterun believes that the prophecy of the four is soon to come true.” At the end of this sentence he burst out laughing. “Please, that prophecy is just a myth no one believes that story anymore. Anyway how can I know that you are telling the truth?” he asked “You would know by the letter from your long time friend, and by my honour as a long time member of the Nights watch!” I nearly roared at him. “The nights watch, really? Sorry I had no idea, I will read the letter and consult my advisors and get back to you, come back in an hour or so and I will have decided.” When I returned later that day I received the answer I knew I would get. “This is terrible news, I will do as Eirik has suggested and recall all the troops and begin training new soldiers immediately. There’s only one problem with the issue of the Forsworn attacks I can’t recall all of my men.” He told me. “I will contact Eirik and I will see if I can get some reinforcements. If you will excuse me I have several other matters to attend to before I leave” I replied, with that I marched swiftly out of the room and my men followed close behind. I then remembered the message from the woman who wanted to meet me in the crypts. A few minutes later I was standing outside the main door to the crypt.” Remember the plan Jackson.” Then I walked into the crypt, I had walked no more than a few hundred yards I felt the cold edge of a knife blade on the back of my neck. “If you want to live don’t move a muscle. ”Said a soft whispery voice.” That’s no way to treat a stranger.” I replied, this seemed to make her quite angry. “If its money you want let me tell you, I have none on me.” I told her. “Its not your money that I want but your life, the Dark brotherhood has put a big price on your head.”

Den20397

Back to top Go down

Short story part 2 Empty Re: Short story part 2

Post by Den20397 Tue 13 Aug 2013, 4:18 pm

Crap I just realised I pit this up in the wrong place! Sorry guys.

Den20397

Back to top Go down

Post by ZombieRonSwanson Wed 14 Aug 2013, 1:33 am

Very nice, I really enjoyed that Very Happy
ZombieRonSwanson
ZombieRonSwanson

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down